Wednesday 9 January 2013

Happy Days

I am still chopping and changing between making cards and making (a lot) messy with inks and paints. Perhaps it's the time of year and I have post Christmas blues - or maybe because I have little bits of sad news from various people just recently, but whatever it is I can't seem to settle to do anything for any length of time.
I did though finally finish this -a 10" x 8" canvas.

I needed to do something to lighten my mood and thoughts of a warm summer day taking in the sounds of birdsong and just enjoying - well   life    really - to make you smile - and this is what I ended up with.

The canvas background was done using acrylic paints.

I used modelling paste for the 'clouds'. I painted a few stalks and pink frothy flower heads in the grass and then spent some considerable time tearing and sticking paper napkins for the flowers bottom left side and the two butterflies. 

The birds were stamped, cut out then 'mod podged' and the dragonfly is made from mountboard,coloured with Cosmic Shimmer and embossed. (He's quite iridescent 'in real life'!) Further up the left side I stamped with one of my favourite (and old!) blossom stamps, painted the flowers and added the stamped birdcage which has been covered with glossy accents and has a metal 'chain'.

The bare footed girl was done from a template - and the papers are by K and Co. The 'skirt' is individual panels and once all stuck together I put some lace underneath before assembling her, then I went round her outline with a black pen. 
(I am not proficient enough nor have enough confidence to draw a face (!!) but I don't think it detracts from the overall piece - at least I hope it doesn't.)

The 'Happy Days' words were stamped onto tissue paper. 

Challenges -
Take a Word - Art and what it means (and it means Happy Days to me spent making a mess!!!)
Ruby's Rainbow - Smile (and warm summer days do that to me)
Inky Chicks - Anything Goes
Crafters Cafe - Anything Goes
Lexi's - Anything Goes
Creative Creations - Anything Goes

Thanks for looking and if you've left me a comment, I really appreciate it and hope that my little canvas has you thinking of lazy summer days. x

31 comments:

Carol Willis said...

Oh Viv, this is gorgeous. I absolutely love it.
Hugs
Caz x

Unknown said...

is beautifull mix media gretting marialex CCCB DT

Desire Fourie said...

Viv this is so beautiful. Love the vintage/shabby chic feel to it.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

PetraB said...

Absolutely beautiful and gives hope that Spring will come!

annesyme said...

Gorgeous creation Viv, you definitely have caught a lovely warm summers day on this canvass
Anne x

Mrs A. said...

Adorable collage. Her not having a face just adds to the lovely floaty feeling the canvas exudes.
Bootiful as Bernard Matthews would say.!! Hugs Mrs A.

Netty said...

Beautiful collaged canvas Viv, love it. Annette x

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous canvas Viv, love all the details. I feel the same about painting in the faces.
Yvonne x

Stamps and Paper said...

Just love your gorgeous creation Viv wonderful colours and love the scene you have created

Anne

Veronica said...

I love she art and you did wonderful
Thank you for joining us at Creative Creations Challenge Blog ( Anything goes) Good luck and hope to see you for our next challenge
Veronica DT

Beccy said...

What a gorgeous creation Viv, it's absolutely beautiful and sounded like lots of fun to create. You did a great job!
I'm sorry you've had bad news lately, I really hope everything settles down quickly and the rest of the year goes much better.
Cheers,
Beccy

Scrap Vamp said...

Just beautiful!

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Stunning project Viv makes me feel it can't be too long before Spring shows its head! Hugs Susan

PS Thanks for joining us at Lexi's Creations hugs Susan

Anne said...

viv she looks so serene and happy. Roll on spring!
xxx

coops said...

wow this is so beautiful viv.sums up summer perfectly ;D

xx coops xx

Di said...

Beautiful Viv - no face needed 'cos she's perfect as she is! Hugs, Di xx

julie_woolston said...

Beautiful Viv lovely colours.

Thank you for joining us at Lexis Creations.

Hugs Julie x

jackiescrafts said...

What a beautiful canvas it certainly made me smile
Thank you for joining in at Rubys rainbows this time

Jackie x

Gibmiss said...

Hi Viv
Gorgeous.... Love it...
Hugs Sylvie xxx

Shea said...

What a STUNNING piece! I love the soft mix of pastels, and I think I even have that same K&Co. paper (which I love)! You've done a fantastic job with this work of art. And I don't think the girl needs a face - she's really quite romantic without it. Very impressionistic. Beautiful all the way around!

Shelby said...

I get ya on the can't settle down bit!
Love how you've done this canvas and all of the interplay of the gorgeous colors and patterns is amazing. Love it

Shelby

Krafty Kows said...

Wow love your creation. Jeanette

Julieanne..aka pinkjools said...

Beautiful ...stunning work...just love your colours....Julieannex

Basslady said...

a very lovely and romantic card!

thanks so much for playing along with us at Ruby’s Rainbow Challenges!

hugs and kisses from germany,
silvi xoxo

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

What a beautiful painted canvas Viv - the colours, and the scene, are uplifting - just like the warm Summer's day you mentioned. (Seems ages since we had one of those)! Absolutely love everything about it.
Hope you have a happy 2013 - Hugs, Sylvia xx


Ang C said...

What a gorgeous canvas


Thankyou for joining us at Rubys Rainbow for our Smile challenge

Ang x

Kathyk said...

Fab project and love your use of so much "mixed media" too

Hope you find your card making mojo after so much sad news has filtered in to your world

Kathyk

MaryH said...

Such a beautiful mixed media art is this one. I loved reading the description of all the 'things' you used to create it. You are truly an artist...I understand your 'post-Christmas blues' too. I think it probably is a mixture of maybe sad news of people we care about, the let-down following anticipation of a big holiday, and maybe the glooms of winter. Whatever, I think I have a bit of it myself! This piece evokes warm spring loveliness. TF sharing

Vicky Hayes said...

You're amazing Viv! This is such a gorgeous piece of work and I don't know whether it's cheering you up but I certainly felt my shoulders go down when I saw it. I know what you mean about feeling a bit down at this time of year and if you've had bad news, it will make you feel worse. I hope your mood picks up soon and hope that this kind of artwork helps you. Hugs, Vicky x

Karen C said...

So glad you joined us this month at The Crafter's Cafe Challenge Blog! Hope to see you again next month! Just as an FYI - We are doing a DT Call...
Hugs,
Karen C (DT coordinator)

SusanLotus said...

This is sooo beautiful! I love it!